Before students can request a student notetaker, this accommodation must be listed on the student’s current letter of accommodation. Like all accommodation requests, this must be supported by documentation and demonstrated need.
The Office of Disability Support Services (DSS) cannot guarantee a student notetaker, the quality of the student notetaker’s notes, or the frequency of the student notetaker’s notes.
The process for a student notetaker is as follows:
- The student with a student notetaker accommodation will fill out the Google Form Request and provide this flyer to professors teaching courses they require a student notetaker in.
- The professor will make an announcement in class that there is a request for a student notetaker.
- Any interested student will come to the professor with a sample of class notes and declare their interest to be a student notetaker.
- The professor verifies that the potential student notetaker's notes are accurate and substantial.
- The professor will direct the potential student notetaker to complete the DSS Student Notetaker application form.
- DSS will correspond with the student notetaker about the position.
- Positions are filled on a first-come basis.
- Student notetakers are paid $50 per class credit hour and are paid at the end of the semester.
- Student notetakers must complete Vendor registration with Accounts Payable in order to receive payment at the end of the semester.
- Once approved to be a student notetaker, the student will complete the Student Notetaker Agreement Form and submit the completed and signed form to DSS.
- The student notetaker will then proceed to take notes in class and email them to DSS (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than 24 hours following the class period. Notes must be typed unless otherwise approved through DSS based on the class.
- DSS will email the submitted notes to the student with accommodation once notes are received.
- If there are any questions, concerns, or issues, please contact DSS Staff via email at email@example.com or phone at 202-319-5211.
It is critical for DSS registered students with a Student Notetaker accommodation to be aware that the process to secure and fill a notetaking position can take several weeks to put in place. There are also times when no other enrolled student self-identifies as willing to serve as a student notetaker for a requested course. DSS is very willing to provide alternative notetaking support by way of various assistive technologies while DSS attempts to secure and fill a notetaking position.
If a student notetaker for a certain class cannot be found within a reasonable amount of time after the announcement is made in class, students are encouraged to supplement their notetaking accommodation by engaging directly to explore alternative notetaking accommodations.
To discuss supplementing a student notetaking accommodation with alternative notetaking accommodations, please contact DSS Staff via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 202-319-5211.