Smart Start 2022
Please join DSS staff for Smart Start 2022, which will take place on Tuesday, August 23, 2022!
Smart Start is an optional pre-orientation program offered by the Office of Disability Support Services (DSS), and scheduled before the larger New Student Orientation. It is designed for incoming first-year or new transfer students who have a documented condition or disability and intend to formally register with Catholic U.'s DSS for possible academic accommodations. Up to two additional individuals (parent, guardian, family member) are welcome to attend along with their student.
In order to accommodate as many individuals to participate and respect the significant time commitment involved in taking a student to college, DSS will offer different ways to attend/participate:
- A student may select to attend Smart Start either in-person or virtually via Zoom.
- A student has the option to add 1-2 additional individuals to attend Smart Start; either in-person, virtually, or a combination of in-person and virtually (meaning one individual is in-person and the other individual attends virtually).
- There is no cost to attend Smart Start, however, students will be asked to report any changes to their submission request at least two weeks prior to the program start date.
The goals of the Smart Start program are:
- To help students new to Catholic U. prepare for their college experience through a targeted program offered by DSS;
- To assist on-campus, residential students by providing additional time to physically move-in to their residence hall room;
- To be introduced to DSS staff and attend informative session on the services and programs offered by DSS;
- To begin development of self-advocacy and a sense of community with other new students.
You can access the Smart Start 2022 schedule here for a general overview of the program.
The Smart Start 2022 Participation Form is now closed. We look forward to seeing everyone at Smart Start!
DSS will continue to update this page throughout the Summer with additional information.
Updated August 2022.