DSS works to ensure accommodated quizzes, tests, and exams for students registered with DSS and who have testing accommodations. Other requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis and will depend on the current demands and workload of the DSS office.
The Accommodated Testing Process is as follows:
- Students with testing accommodations will request to take a test with DSS via "DSS Test Request" Google Form.
- One request must be made for each test.
- Students are required to make the request at least 7 business days (excluding weekends and holidays) before a test is to be scheduled. If requested later than this deadline, it is not guaranteed that the student will be able to take the test with accommodations.
- If there are any changes to the request (e.g. test date) or if there are any concerns, please email email@example.com immediately.
- Seven days before the scheduled test, DSS will notify the instructor via email that their student has requested to take a test with DSS and will ask them to reply with test details. This email will contain the DSS Professor Test Information Fall 2022 Form.
- Instructors should respond within at least 2 days of receiving an email from DSS.
- Instructors will be asked for the following test details in the form:
- Date and time of the test
- Duration of the test
- Test platform (Blackboard, Examsoft, etc., or in-person)
- Emergency phone number
- Testing aids (if any)
- Testing aids may include: calculator, notes, open-book
- If there are any updates to test parameters after the form is submitted, please email firstname.lastname@example.org on the email thread that was intitially sent by DSS.
- Note: Because DSS is responsible for ensuring testing accommodations are in place, it is critical that faculty respond to our accommodated testing emails, even if proctoring services are not needed. If a professor's failure to respond to DSS about testing accommodations becomes habitual, DSS will contact the Dean or Department Chair to address this matter.
- DSS will work with the instructor to ensure that testing accommodations are in place. When the exam is confirmed, DSS will send the student a calendar invite for the proctored exam.
- If a student wants to change the date and/or time of the test, students must email DSS (email@example.com) and the instructor to engage in the rescheduling process. DSS will work with the student and instructor to coordinate the rescheduled test.
Proctoring Information for Faculty
DSS will offer an option of Zoom and in-person proctoring for all students with testing accommodations whose professors are also Zoom/in-person proctoring their classmates (who do not have accommodations). If students without accommodations are not being proctored, DSS cannot proctor students with accommodations.
DSS Proctoring Schedule
Monday through Friday
Please note the following regarding proctoring sessions:
- Each test proctoring session will take place via Zoom/in person; each proctored test session will have a limited capacity, likely including students from different classes.
- All students will be required to begin at the same time in order to minimize distractions during testing time.
- Some students may not be taking their exam proctored by DSS at the same time as their classmates. DSS will work to place students in a proctored time slot as close to their classmates as possible without missing other classes.
- DSS cannot guarantee student placement in a given test slot.
- DSS will assist with Comps/Hesi proctoring on a limited basis this semester. Any request for DSS proctoring for Comps/Hesi must submit a request at least 30 days in advance for consideration. DSS will work with the faculty and/or dean to determine whether DSS can provide proctoring.
Please note the following regarding proctoring scheduling:
- For the proctoring option to be successful, DSS will require professors to communicate their proctoring needs well in advance of the testing date, in order to coordinate student scheduling with proctoring times.
- When DSS emails faculty regarding a student's accommodated test request, it is imperative that professors respond as soon as possible, especially if they wish to request proctoring.
- Specific deadlines will be included in the student accommodated test emails sent to faculty.
- Faculty who do not adhere to these deadlines will no longer be able to engage DSS for proctoring and will need to proctor their own exams.
- DSS is not able to provide technical support for any lockdown browser issues.
- DSS is not able to control student submission of tests when they finish.
Please email DSS at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.